Monday, September 22, 2008

A Green Tip...

Julie near the lac 1960

Have an old swimsuit or two lying around? Want to recycle it instead of dumping it in the landfill? I have a solution for you that is easier than you think, but not really that obvious. As a swimmer I have a lot of old suits and as someone who is pretty green, I wanted to find a way to recycle them. I did some digging online so now you don't have to!

One interesting idea I found that can also be used with old nylons is sewing or wrapping bars of soap inside and using it to keep track of your soap and make it easier to use (or if you go camping use the nylon version and tie it to a tree so its easy to find and it wont fall into the dirt).

But, if you are like me and don't use bar soap and just want to get rid of them, email Jennifer at:
quilts4homeless@yahoo.com

She makes quilts for homeless people and uses the swimsuits as batting. They can be old/ripped/etc. as she will cut them up to stuff the quilts! Email her and she will send you her shipping address :)

As and aside, moving from Berkeley where you can practically recycle everything on the curb- to a less friendly recycling city, has led me to work harder to stay green. But, now I also appreciate the power of the people more. Berkeley's residents demand everything from recycling to predominantly organic farmers markets. I'm sure you have heard of this already, but in case you haven't, join your local freecycle. I would recommend doing the daily digest option in big cities unless you have a lot of time for email!

No comments: