Saturday, February 14, 2009

Open Letter to Candace Parker

Candace Parker - Los Angeles Sparks

Candace,

I love you, I really do. But seriously woman, are you crazy?

You are young, fabulous, famous, and coming off an amazing couple of years. 2 NCAA titles, #1 draft pick of the WNBA and then Rookie of the Year and MVP, the first ever to receive both honors in the same year. Plus, a gold medal at the Beijing Olympics. The Sparks really did have a chance at the title too. I couldn't wait until your second season, with hopes that Michael got the point guard position straightened out…it was a great opportunity to push your game and the league further into the spotlight.

Come to find out you thought it would be a great time to go and have a baby. Seriously? Now?

I don't know what your plans are, and I can understand you have been under tremendous pressure to succeed since high school and earlier, but if you don't want to play, don't.

If you want to have a great career, wait 10 years and then have a kid. Didn't you see what a great example Lisa Leslie was, and she is on your team, didn't you talk to her? It just doesn't make any sense to me. If you can explain this craziness, I would appreciate it.

Much Love,
A fan

For other commentaries see here, here, and here.

No comments: