Thursday, December 01, 2011

Go Or Give December Organization - Make It Safe Project

The first charity I have chosen for Go Or Give is the The Make It Safe Project. This organization was started by a 14 year old girl named Amelia Roskin-Frazee. Now, the fact that I'm a lesbian bookworm makes this months choice seem like an easy pick, but it goes beyond that.

I heard about The Make It Safe Project from a link on twitter and subsequently found these two news stories here and here (you can find more press and interviews here). It came on a day when I was seriously questioning whether there was any humanity and compassion for one another left in the world. Really I was having a crisis of hope. Then, out of nowhere comes this story about a young woman who was full of hope. Hope that people can change; that LGBT people won't always be treated as less than; that LGBT teens would stop killing themselves if they could just feel a little less alone. I also think founder Amelia Roskin-Frazee and I share the belief that books can change you.

I can pin point major turning points in my life around literature and I can only hope my donation to this more than deserving cause will get a book into the hands of an LGBT teen struggling somewhere and be the turning point in their lives.

I will also be donating some book along with the cold hard cash. My shelves runneth over.

If you need to request books for your school, or would like to donate, do so here.

As far as the GO part of Go Or Give - today was a challenge. I had a packed day, as I was getting sworn in and am now officially an attorney at law (just waiting for that stinking bar number)! I did finally reach my 10,000 steps around 9:30pm, which is less than ideal, but I'll take it.

Have my gym clothes all laid out for the morning, so that is progress too. As Dory would say, "just keep swimming, just keep swimming."

No comments: